Saturday, April 12, 2008

The Last of the Mounds

As we talked about the effigy mounds, I think the most interesting point to be made was the initial disbelief that the Native Americans were the builders of these monumental structures. The first settlers of the United States drove the Native Americans from their land and named them 'savages', so naturally they did not believe the Native Americans had the ability to create such meaningful mounds. I think it is awful that only because the mounds did not fit their Christian world view the first settlers denied all Native Americans of any credibility for their wonderful creations.

I suppose I understand that religions tend to fit ideas into their stories for their own favor, but I must be honest, I am not looking forward to reading Psalms because the Christian world view is much too skewed. I am a nanny for a woman in town and they are a good Christian family, sometimes the little girl I babysit asks me if I have taken Jesus as my Lord and Savior. To be frank, its hard to keep my thoughts down. The reaction to the effigy mounds is just one more reason why religions should be less harsh and more peaceful.

No comments: